Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  4:26 pm
Subject:  Re: Entrenched Thinking or Pops VS Ops

disclaimer: I love opera and pop! I am just trying to challenge the deeply
ingrained classism in our society.

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:
> opera singers are obviously expected to have BETTER culture, be that
> technique, languages, History, etc.

I'm only going to write once on this topic, as I suspect you will never be
converted...

You need to be really clear in your own mind what you mean when you say
"BETTER" culture. What is it "better" at? Does it touch people's hearts
more poignantly? Does it promote critical thinking? Does it allow joy to
well up in your soul? From your earlier postings on guitarists, I suspect
when you say "better", you mean "difficult" or "esoteric".

> Pop music is the result of the popular culture. As popular culture has never
> been sophisticated, or 'high', it's inferior.

You have yet to address the fact that much of our best "classical" music
was also popular in its time.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5893 Re: Entrenched Thinking or Pops VS Ops Reg Boyle   Tue  10/24/2000   4 KB
5894 Re: Warning. Reg Boyle   Tue  10/24/2000   2 KB

emusic.com