Vocalist.org archive

From:  Robert Harris <lds@s...>
Robert Harris <lds@s...>
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  6:24 am
Subject:  Inside--outside confusion

Hello,

Today I was dismayed to realize that I have been making what I believe is a
fundamental error: trying to match how I sound to myself when I sing to
how operatic tenors sound like when I listen to them singing. In other
words, I have been trying to make myself sound to myself like say, Domingo
sounds to me when I hear him singing. I have known than this is a erroneous
model for singing. It is obvious that what I hear when I sing must be
different than what my listeners hear. That's why I was surprised to
realize, in a flash of insight, that I have been making this error. I
think my teacher may also be surprised. He has been trying to get me sing
easier, lighter, not work so hard, etc.

What I've got to do now is to learn what sounds and sensations I should
experience that indicates I am producing well-placed, resonant tone. I know
that its my teachers job to give the me the feedback that I need to develop
these indications. I have read Miller's Big Three (referring to his books,
of course) and I don't remember any discussion of this "inside-outside"
confusion. I also do not remember any discussion of what the internal
sounds and sensations are that indicate good placement.

Even though I know that the role of my teacher is primary, I am hoping that
maybe someone in vocalist news group can give me some ideas or share some
experiences that could help me get back of track, or maybe share some ideas
of what a well-placed tone should feel/sound like to a singer. My daughters
voice teacher, who is a wonderful soprano, told me that when singing in her
upper range, even when singing Forte her voice does not loud to her because
it is focused outside her head. Is this a common experience? Is there
really a such a great difference between the "inside" experience of singing
and the "outside" result of singing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Robert Harris

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5858 Re: Inside--outside confusion Takeshi Oda   Mon  10/23/2000   2 KB

emusic.com