Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Sun Oct 22, 2000  8:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Placement

Dear Les and all,

Les wrote:
> The singer is required to know what to do to
>place the resonance BEFORE acquiring an ability to sense it. Reverse
>engineering!
... The development of an impeccable proprioceptive memory is essential to
>any kind of physical activity. Ask any Alexander or Feldenkreis expert.
>I avoid telling a student what they should sense as the traditionalists did.
>I ask a lot of questions instead. It will often be something I like, "What
>was that? That was absolutely wonderful! What were you seeing and / or
>feeling and / or hearing when you did it?

This is very helpful, I think, because a student isn't placed in
the difficult position of trying to mimic a sensation which sometimes can
erroneously be thought to exist. I also ask students to take mental
'picture' of the feeling of freedom they just experienced and try to
reproduce it. This is teaching them how to practice.
Cheers, Karen Jensen

emusic.com