Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 21, 2000  8:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: The Vowel Line

linda wrote:

<< the other is that they often simply _do_ _not_ _like_ the
tone of the "operatic" voice, and in particular the 19th-century style
we have been discussing, and, interestingly, this dislike is nearly
always applied only to the female voice. >>

linda,

i agree that the 19th cent. female operatic voice does seem to be the
one people dislike the most. i would add that it also seems to be the one
animals react most strongly to. cats seem to hate it unanimously where dogs
seem to be of the mind "i hated it at first but, it is fun to sing with".
in the case of animals, i think the distaste is probably physical.

the human distaste is probably cultural to some extent but, not
entirely. i have heard operatic female voices since my diaper days (the
beginning not last week) and i really don't like them (with the exceptions i
have named in earlier posts). it is the timbre that bothers me (too much
chiaro not enough scuro, perhaps?). there is also a lack of texture that
bothers me.

at any rate, like limberger cheese, i think it is an acquired taste.
counter-tenors are also an acquired taste. the only one i really like is
david daniels and i suspect it is the novelty of his singing that i like.

mike

emusic.com