Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 21, 2000  1:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Vowel Line

In a message dated 10/20/00 7:19:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
kjensen@c... writes:
kjensen@c... writes:

<< The vowel line is also
influenced by efforts by the singer to "track" the singer's formant and
keep the "ping" there on each note no matter what vowel is required. In
Sündberg's research on acoustics of the singing voice he explores how the
"Singer's Formant"(around 2800 Hz.) is achieved, by changing the shape of
the vocal tract. Sopranos: clustering the 3rd, 4th and 5th formant, and
more jaw opening on high notes. All other voice types: widening the pharynx
so that it is 6 times wider than the opening to the laryngeal port.
(supporting research by Ingo Titze) >>

I teach vowel modification extensively. However, it does not need to occur
below the first bridge in the voice and up high actually helps to make the
voice a little more understandable by refocusing formants so that are more in
line with what they are in speech during the chest register. Miller would
agree with that.

The problem I have is the modification of the bottom that serves to create a
color but doesn't serve a real purpose in creating the singers formant.
There are singers who sing without this distortion on the bottom and have
huge careers in opera (Pavarotti, Upshaw, etc.), so it is possible. This
modification does serve a purpose though by adding a certain code to the
voice. A code which points out to the listener, "Hey, I'm an opera singer...
I share a certain set of socioeconomic, aesthetic values with the listener
that serves to separate us from others."

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5807 Re: The Vowel Line Karen   Sat  10/21/2000   3 KB
5811 Re: The Vowel Line Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  10/21/2000   6 KB
5816 Re: The Vowel Line Karen   Sat  10/21/2000   4 KB
5817 Re: The Vowel Line Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  10/21/2000   8 KB
5825 Re: The Vowel Line Karen   Sat  10/21/2000   5 KB
5828 Re: The Vowel Line Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  10/22/2000   4 KB

emusic.com