Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Oct 20, 2000  1:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP : Scenes&Pocket Operas

A hand of Bridge by Barber is only about 10 min long and has only 4
singers, bar, sop, ten. contralto (I presume a mezzo would get away with
it). I was also rather thinking that you could do bleeding chunks of Der
Rosenkavalier, perhaps depending on your stage director. I think it's an
opera best taken in chunks anyway. Then the tenor gets a chance to show
off! And of course there is (though I should definitely not say this for
many reasons) Tristan und Isolde!
OK, maybe I was getting silly, but I love the piece. Scenes from Rigoletto,
especially the last bit. I'll stop now. john

At 09:14 AM 10/20/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Had a first rehearsal (mozart sing
>through) last night with a
>few singers we're bringing together
>to hopefully do some exciting work.
>I'm looking for suggestions for short scenes
>and mini operas that would suit us.
>Accompaniment would probably be piano,
>maybe eight piece orchestra if we were
>feeling brave.
>
>The 'company' consists of :-
>
>Sop - well developed 21 year old soprano
> voice, spans the Fiordelligi 'come scolio'
> thingy with ease and sings it well.
>
>Mezzo - 25 year old extremely well developed
> rich sound with a good top end.
>
>Tenor - late 30's 'real' tenor. Open voice
> from the top to the bottom. No clamping
> no nasality. A real find ! Prefers singing
> the big stuff because it suits his voice
> but will happily sing Mozart as well.
>
>Bass/Baritone - 32 year old full bodied Figaro
> type voice. Could handle some of the
> verdi baritone rep with piano but wouldn't
> be dumb enough to try with orchestra yet!
>
>We can also call on the services of our stage director
>if required:
>
>Sop - 25 year old chorally trained light/heady not fully
> connected but a sweet sound.
>
>It looks like an exciting group and we could use
>something really vibrant to kick us off in the right
>direction. We're only looking at opera, although I'm
>sure we could go as light as Weill, maybe even
>Sondheim I guess.
>
>Kevin.

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico