Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Fri Oct 20, 2000  1:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Vowel Line

>lloyd wrote:
><< each pops artist is
> granted extensive freedom to perform the music as they wish and
> nothing they do can be considered incorrect in light of the musical
> concept that began the process. >>

mike wrote
> this is a lovely statement. it describes exactly what i have come to
>find in singing since finding other forms of music to sing.....
> the only way i can describe the difference that i feel is, it's like
>being yourself instead of trying to fit in. oddly enough, my sister finds
>this same freedom in singing wagner. ah, music! a little something for
>everyone.

New music did the same for me. As an undergrad I was learning a
broad spectrum of rep, but doing the Berio Sequenza and other 20th century
works gave me a unique kind of performing freedom and creative scope. Not
all kinds of 20th century rep calls for this, like Stravinsky who said (in
a TV interview) "Don't do nothingks to my music."

Karen Jensen

emusic.com