Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 19, 2000  9:22 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] The Vowel Line

Dear Mike and Chiris and Vocalisters:

I am not suggesting that classically trained singers should bring
classical ideas into pops singing, only that to do so is less a
violation of the pops form than if the reverse were done.

Pops music, by definition, is intended to be completed by the
performer. That is one of its great charms; each pops artist is
granted extensive freedom to perform the music as they wish and
nothing they do can be considered incorrect in light of the musical
concept that began the process.

But that does not mean that everyone will like any given performance.
There is great discrepancy between the performances of a given song
by two well respected and accepted pops-only performers but not
everyone will appreciate each performers work on any given tune.

However, one of the characteristics of classic song or opera is a
reduction in the freedom that a performer may assume in performing
the song within a classic or operatic style. This is so because the
creative work of the composer is considered complete and is not left
to be completed by the performer as is the case in pops music. (I
know someone will bring up the example of cadenzas in arias and
concertos but these are exceptions that are limited to particular
short places in the music).

If a pops performer sings a classic song or opera aria in a pops
style, it is no longer a classic song nor an opera aria because a
basic tenant of the style (the limited freedom allowed the performer
because of the completeness of the composer's work) has been violated.

It is not possible, given the opposite quality of pops music to so
violate a pops song regardless of our own personal feelings about who
does it best. An example of how this can be misunderstood is the
case of an older person who loved the arrangements of Glenn Miller
being offended by a rock version of "Sting of Pearls". The personal
choice is acknowledged but no violation has been done to the piece if
it is presented in new clothes. And it is still pops music, rock or
swing rendition.

But if "Nessun Dorma" is belted by pops singer it is no longer an
opera aria. It is now a pops song.

Just differences in concept carried out to a logical conclusion.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com