Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Oct 19, 2000  10:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Allergies/Zyrtec/Humabid Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear GWendel and co vocalisters,

as Cynthia has already helped us by asking, whether you are a MD (the answer was yes +), for me there are still a few questions left. But first of all thanks for the effort explaning something in these for many singers so important matters.

You wrote: 'Claritin-D probably helped you more was because of the
decongestant action of its co-ingredient, pseudo-ephedrine (Sudafed).  As
systemic medications go, pseudo-ephedrine is probably the most tolerable for
singers but carries the potential side-effect of palpitations-tachycardia.'

As a user of Claritine (Schering-Plough, I think this how Claritine D is called in the Netherlands, at least it is one of those anti-histaminica that claim not to have the effect of somnolence  and is also sold as Loratadine; I use it im wunderschönen Monat Mai and in June) I am quite interested in the side effects. Furthermore I can remember that some MD's have tried to ask me whether my allergic reactions affected my lungs as well. This question I never could answer, because it happens very seldom, but it happens. In that case I should change medication, but no MD ever could tell me whether I should or should not, probably I was not able to give them a clear answer to their queston.

So: what is 'palpitations-tachycardia' exactly, who can I see it occurs, and how big is the possibility it will occur (all assuming occuring is the right verb in this case).

Second question: the nasal sprays in my case always drip into my mouth, which gives me the feeling it is as bad for my voice as drinking a strong liquor. I admit, it is just a feeling. The packages always say, you should not allow this to happen, but since I cannot avoid it, what are the actual risks of sprays in such a case compared to other medicines?

Finally: I can vaguely remember some people opposing hevaily against cortisones. Do the cortisone-type sprays contain cortisones? If yes, what are the dangers of cortisones, if any?

Best greetings,

Dre
emusic.com