Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  5:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Chinese Art Song

Anne-Louise Klaus wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have a student whose first language is Chinese and
> who would love to sing a song in Chinese. Is there
> such a thing as Chinese art song and, if so, where
> would I find something appropriate?

Five Lyrics of the T'ang Dynasty by John Beckwith (BMI Canada Ltd.)
Song of Snow-White Heads by Ernst Bacon (Mercury Music Corp.)
Hymns of the Chinese Kings by Keith Bissell (Waterloo Music)
Two Songs of Farewell by Keith Bissell (Waterloo Music)

The Bissell and Beckwith are also available, I think, through the Canadian
Music Centre www.musiccentre.ca . If you're at the CMC's site, check and
see if Chan Ka Nin has written anything.

These are all English translations of Chinese poetry, but in any city with a
large Chinese population, you are sure to find someone with some lovely folk
song settings. The Chinese are justifiably proud of their ethnic music, and
there are even programs devoted to the study of folk music at the major
conservatories and universities in China.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com