Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  1:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Ubiquitious AH Vowel

Vale wrote:

>and I was surprised to hear that the vowel in "Dull" was very strange to my
ears, I perceived it like a double vowel (perhaps at the beginning it's
something like an italian "a" mixed with an italian open "o", and at the end
something like an italian "u" mixed with an italian closed "o

You're right! Americans ( and the British? ) insert a schwa sound ( @) in
one-syllable words between the ending R or L sound and the preceding vowel.
As the inverted [V] phonetic symbol, as in DULL, sounds as a stressed schwa,
you must have heard a sustained long vowel with a 'crack' in the middle ( so
it's not sustained!!! I'm so stupid! ).

Also, when and A precedes that R or L sound in one-syllable words they
won't pronounce it as the 'xiphopagus' /ae/, as in fAt, but as the /e/ as in
bEd followed by the 'xyphopagus' @+r. Example: 'care' will most likely be
pronounced as /ke@r.../ rather than /kaer/ or / Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com