Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
"Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  2:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Ubiquitious AH Vowel

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:34:16
Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
>Dear Lisa-Marie and Vocalister:
>
>Lisa-Marie write:
>>I (a normal American [????]) pronounce "Pull" and "Dull" the same
>>way - using the same vowel sound. I am from Minnesota by the way.
>
>I find that impossible. I am completely unable to make these two
>words have the same vowel sound without making each of them
>unrecognizable. How do you do it?

I tried to analyze both words on www.allwords.com (There are phonetic symbols &
audio examples). I believed that they had the same sound (Keep in mind that I'm
italian and I don't speak English very well): I thinked they both had the sound
of "Pull", and I was surprised to hear that the vowel in "Dull" was very
strange to my ears, I perceived it like a double vowel (perhaps at the
beginning it's something like an italian "a" mixed with an italian open "o",
and at the end something like an italian "u" mixed with an italian closed "o".

How to sustain a such sound? Where to stop along the transformation?

10% cash back on all your calls through 2000 at Lycos Communications at

emusic.com