Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  2:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Singing vs speech + The Ubiquitious AH Vowel + Techn...

dear lloyd and caio,

the different pronounciations of 'ah' as well as every other vowel
sound in every language are made inadvertently and have been part of us since
the beginning of our developement. our speech is not a fixed group of
sounds but one that developes and disintegrates over our lifetimes. to
eradicate this from our singing is to take the human being out.

i understand the need for opera to be sung almost as if the voice were
an instrument. i have tried to envision otherwise and have failed. leaving
human expression out of opera is its flaw, in my opinion. the substitution
of artifice in place of the accidental moment of divine inspiration, is not
for me. i still love opera but, as a novelty.

mike

emusic.com