Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Oct 16, 2000  2:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] FRONT FOCUS

You have to understand that in my husband's case, he started studying
clarinet @ the age of eight & started voice lessons @ the age of 41. His
teacher is trying to undo the breathing habits he developed playing
clarinet, at least when he sings. Apparently, it is not a very efficient
use of breath. Christine Thomas' e-mail from today eludes to this also.

He did comment at the last band concert that he played that he
incorporated some of the "new" techniques in one of the longer passages
that he had to play & it made it much easier. Whether he'll be entirely
able to switch to a "singing" techinque of breathing when playing
clarinet is yet to be seen as he doesn't play as much as he used to. This
will become especially evident in December when we do a Woman Composers
recital & he trots out pieces that he has done a number of times using
the other technique.

Pat Smith