Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Hanna Graeffe" <hanna.graeffe@h...>
"Hanna Graeffe" <hanna.graeffe@h...>
Date:  Sun Oct 15, 2000  12:30 am
Subject:  Vs: [vocalist-temporary] Latin pronunciation

----- Alkuperäinen viesti -----
Lähettäjä: "John Alexander Blyth" <BLYTHE@B...>

> In most of the texts we sing, those local pronunciations do seem to
count
> for rather a lot. I've hear some of William Byrd's Latin setting in
> reconstruction of what linguists this English Latin of his time
sounded
> like. Well, to quote Keanu Reeves : woah! It just sounds wrong, even
> although it is likely authentic.

And then there are the lovely songs with both English and Latin mixed
all together, and you have to do terrible things for the Latin text to
make it rhyme the way it probably did in its time... "O Jesu parvule!
I yearn for thee alway... Hear me, I beseech thee, O Puer optime!" (In
dulci jubilo, arr. by R.L.Pearsall 1800something --so okay, this is
much younger but nevertheless...)

Hanna G from Finland
hanna.graeffe@h...
www.lumenvalo.fi --> Christmas cd "Mysterium" coming in November, with
lots of different "O magnum mysterium"s! Our Christmas concert will
also be sent live in national tv here in Finland on Dec. 21st.

emusic.com