Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Oct 14, 2000  1:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] practical technology

Mike wrote:

> i would like to hear of the details of instances where this kind of
> connection is made in regard specifically to spectral readings. is it
> possible to see a spectral reading as one is singing? that would impress
me.

I'm not sure I got what you meant. Well, I'll tell you about my experience:
when I first went to the speech therapist, she asked me to sing into a mike
and the reading was terrible: it showed 'cracks' on the top ( the more
continuous, the better ) and didn't fill the area expected. After 2 months
of voice therapy the 'cracks' were not so common and it was filling a great
deal of the area expected ( that is, good resonance). It was an objective
way to measure it, but it was not real time. It was analyzed after
production, but gave a lot of information. I agree, with you, on the other
hand, that one with real-time feedback would be much better and useful,
mostly to be applied in a biofeedback-based teaching method and for home
practice.

Another nice application of technology to singing would be a device that
showed you promptly if you were singing in tune or not. Videoke equipment
does it, at least in the end of the song, but I'm sure you can get that real
time.

Imagine the student practicing at home with those two tools: they would have
prompt feedback on performance, and would be able to correct those mistakes
without stopping the practice/music/vocalise.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com