Vocalist.org archive

From:  Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  10:27 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Totally off topic: Olympic question-som ebody quick!!!

I'll bet the question will be about Andreaa Raducan....

From the NBC site:

9/28/2000
SYDNEY -- Sports' highest court Thursday dismissed the appeal of Romanian
Andreea Raducan, who had her Olympic gold medal
in the women's individual all-around stripped by the International Olympic
Committee (IOC) after testing positive for a banned
substance found in cold tablets she took.

9/17/2000
SYDNEY -- Olympic officials expelled the entire Romanian weightlifting squad
-- six men and a woman -- on Sunday after receiving word of two more failed
drug tests.

In a prepared statement, the International Weightlifting Federation said
both Traian Ciharean and Adrian Mateas had not passed their tests.

"Earlier in 2000, at another control, a Romanian weightlifter had already
been positive," the IWF said in a statement. "In accordance with the IWF
anti-doping policy, if there are three positive drug tests from one country
within a year, the national federation is suspended from international
competition for a year."

Medal Counts: Gold Silver Bronze Total

United States 39 25 33 97

Russia 32 28 28 88