Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Emily Treen" <etreen@e...>
"Emily Treen" <etreen@e...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  8:22 pm
Subject:  Re: FW: Singing

>can vocal lessons
> make a "bad" singer good? I don't have a good voice. If I took
vocal
> instructions from a good teacher, could I get a good voice? Or
would all
> the proper training not do someone like me any good?
>
> Garn

I think the first real question here is: does this person just want
to learn to sing so they can enjoy it or are they really asking if
they can get so good that they might have a career. I think these
are slightly different.
2nd question: what do they mean by a "bad" singer....tone deafness
or simply being untrained....

My housemate teaches singing and she has one student - an older woman
who came to have singing lessons because she *loved* to sing, but she
said her family told her that she was tone deaf. And to be fair,
when she first started, she was pretty bad. It was like she couldn't
match up the sound she heard with the sound she produced. So things
she thought were in tune, weren't (at all!). But a couple of years
down the line - she can sing in tune most of the time and is learning
to hear when she isn't in tune (and I can actually be in the house
when she has her lessons without cringing too much - I always tried
not to, but sometimes.....I would have to sing the pieces she was
singing after she left, for my own piece of mind!!)
SO, yes, I whole heartedly think that pretty much anyone can sing -
and I think if they really want to sing and really love it, then they
definitely should - singing and any music should always be about
enjoyment first and everything else second. And singing lessons
should help because I think one of the difficult things in singing is
learning to "hear" - and having someone else to do it for you is a
good start!.

Emily

emusic.com