Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  1:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] FW: Singing

Jennifer wrote:

> > can vocal lessons
> > make a "bad" singer good? I don't have a good
> > voice. If I took vocal
> > instructions from a good teacher, could I get a good
> > voice?
>
> I sounded pretty bad when I first started singing. I
> wasn't tone deaf, but the sound that came out of my
> mouth was just not very good. Now, after years of
> lessons with an excellent teacher, I have a pretty
> good voice.

What Jennifer said!!! Same with me - I used to be a choir alto before I
started studying
voice. Teeny tiny sound - in tune at least but not much more. Now I'm a
soprano, can
sing a respectable High C some of the time, and am one of the better singers in
my choir.
I even get paid to sing sometimes (regular church choir job and occasional
other stuff).

And I love voice lessons and never want to give them up. As much as I like how
my sound
has improved, I also find that singing well is its own reward. It feels great,
and I never
learned how good it could feel until I studied. I used to have no idea how my
body felt
inside when I sang, and now I'm so much more clued into my body. And my
posture is
better. If voice lessons gave me nothing else, they'd be worth it for that.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com