Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Oct 12, 2000  7:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] opera and speech (smarta** answer)

>From: Linda Fox <linda@f...>
>
>mikebarb@n... wrote:
>
> > In the performance seminar, he helped me with "How Beautiful are the
>Feet of
> > Them" from the Messiah. He showed me that feeling the pulse "of those
>feet
> > walking," gives that piece life.
>
>Oh dear. I think this, again, was reading messages into the music after
>they are already known - and I _really_ don't go along with the walking
>image in this aria anyway, sorry. I'm not even sure of the sense of the
>text before it was translated.

BTW, which version of "How Beautiful Are the Feet" are we discussing?
Soprano, alto, or that weird duet-with-chorus in the "alternate takes"
section of Watkins Shaw?

Incidentally, the sweet old ladies at church tell me they can ALWAYS
understand what I'm singing about.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse

mikebarb@n...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5489 Re: opera and speech (smarta** answer) mikebarb@n...   Fri  10/13/2000   3 KB

emusic.com