Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Candace Magner" <candacemagner@a...>
"Candace Magner" <candacemagner@a...>
Date:  Thu Oct 12, 2000  3:37 pm
Subject:  latin

I believe the emphasis on the first syllable is correct. And yes, we do know
how it was pronounced in classical times because of the treatises left
behind (thus the Latin teacher's insistance on using the 'w' sound for 'v').
That doesn't mean we actually use that 'classical' pronunciation for singing
however. As Sheila points out there are several flavors of Latin used in
different countries. The generally accepted singing version, barring other
desired effects, is the Italianate as set down by the monks.

Dr. Candace A. Magner
University of New Mexico - Los Alamos Dept of Fine Arts/Music
candacemagner@a...
candacemagner@a...

emusic.com