Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 12, 2000  12:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Doctorate Programs....Long Distance Learning...What to do???

David:

I doubt that you will find any doctoral programs of value that can be
obtained through correspondence or distance learning. The basic
nature of a doctoral program is your residency which means being on
campus of your grad school every day. Grad programs rely on their
doctoral students to be teachers, tutors and, in general, student
leaders in their programs. And it is through the experience of
doing this that the doctoral programs in conducting or performance
has real value. Basically a DMA is an apprentice form of learning
situation.

I am aware that Texas requires the doctorate for advancement. I went
through this same situation when I taught in Texas. And, although
sabbaticals are not legal in Texas, leaves of absence are easy to
obtain and you are guaranteed your former job or an equivalent upon
return to your school after your leave.

But don't get me started on Texas state universities. The U of
Texas is well endowed (oil lands) and that includes Texas A & M but
the state university system is not as well off. Salaries are low and
there is little tendency for them to get better. The same is true in
Arizona. The fact that the university system is as successful as it
is can be attributed almost solely to the fine faculty that, for
whatever reason, has chosen to teach in these two states. The
students are fine, the politics is unbelievably reactionary and the
support for the state education system is extremely lacking.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your change to college work. I know
the feeling. Good luck on the search for a school for your doctorate.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com