Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  11:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Volume (Perception of?)

At 03:33 PM 10/11/00 -0700, Shanna wrote:
>.... Is there a way
>to hear volume of one's own voice (sans recording
>equipment)? Is this an issue of support? I know that
>when I don't know a piece of music very well I have a
>tendency to back off a bit, but I never thought I was
>as quiet as people are telling me I am. I'm confused,
>and am beginning to doubt my dynamic levels, etc. Any thoughts?

Shanna,

There are many on this list with great deal more experience than I have, who
can answer your question better; but I, too, have wanted to "hear myself" at
times. What I do is to stand in the middle of the room with the ulnar
aspect of my hands pressed firmly against the sides of my face just in front
of my ears (so that the palms of my opened hands face backwards), then sing.
The room shouldn't be all hard surfaces, but with carpeting, etc.

On the issue of support, I will have to defer to the vocal pedagogues
hereabouts. For me, however, I try not to equate volume with support but
rather a feeling of increased inner "bigness"; otherwise I might try to
force or "press" my voice. This usually ruins both pitch and tonal quality.
Actually, when I sing softly, I have to support more. Personally, I think
that in chorus, quiet is better anyway unless you have a moving line or the
director wants to hear you more. On the other hand, at last night's
rehearsal for "Camerata", the director seemed to look straight at ME when he
asked "Tenors---where are you?!"

GWendel

emusic.com