Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  7:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Picking a School

MFox wrote:

> i live in the boston area. although i don't really have firsthand
knowledge
> of berklee, it has very much the reputation around here of being a jazz
> school, not classical. classical seems to be very secondary there, from
what
> i know.

My previous teacher has classical background, but she's in the jazz/pop area
now and that's why she went to Berklee. She said there was no 'school' of
singing there. Different teachers did whatever they thought was correct, so
you can't say Berklee is a good singing school, only about individual
teachers there.

She said most of them come from the jazz and gospel area. Many of them do a
lot of belting at church on Sunday, but in class they teach vocalises only.
She once asked many of them how they could do belting so often and still be
OK and they answered: "That's not technique, that's God".

I think Baxter is a safer ( maybe not as holy ) and more educated pick.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com