Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  2:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Was:The r...

judy,

i also agree with lloyd (quick, get the smelling salts) that the
gimmicky crap that pop singers use is appalling (like the sobs used by tenors
trying to sound italianate).
my issue is with tone quality.

if a singer, any singer, were sustaining a note for a certain duration
on a certain vowel, i would want to hear the same timbre that singer speaks
with rather than a constructed timbre. all constructed timbres bother me.
i like jim morrison because he sounded like he was from california when he
sang. i don't like mick jagger because his singing is an affectation.

a pretty girl: some would prefer to see her tastefully made up with the
right lighting and her hair done. i would rather see her not made up,
outside with her hair blowing in the wind. if i did a recital, i would wear
shorts and a tee shirt instead of a tux. i would invite people to come very
casual and sit on the floor if they like and i'd tell jokes between songs.
if someone wanted to wear bigtime evening clothes to my recital, that's fine
with me. (hmm, i think i got carried away there.)

mike

mike

emusic.com