Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  1:39 pm
Subject:  'ad hominum' was Opera singing vs Speech

lynda wrote:

<< Mike, you prove Lloyd's point very well. In my opinion, the above
paragraph
written by you shows that your sole motivation here is to air your own
prejudices toward this particular musical form. I respectfully suggest that
you graciously allow others their preferences, and you are welcome to yours.

lloyd suggested that i had not addressed the artform. the example
from 'don carlo' i cited addresses the artform and very specifically so.
therfore, i do and i have addressed the artform and it is not just my
personal predjudice, as lloyd had stated publicly. it doesn't bother me
that he wrote that but, i did feel the need to correct the notion as it was
incorrect.

with regards to my sarcasm, i wrote exactly what i think. that is how
i think. that is how the thoughts are verbalized in my mind. i say what i
think exactly as i think it and let others decide for themselves. my
'sarcasm' was directed towards the issue and not the man. yes, it is
sometimes hard to seperate one's self from one's point of view and therefore
sarcastic criticism of one's opinion could be taken personally. i like
lloyd and i have enjoyed our vigorous debates (one does not learn from people
who agree with everything you say). it is not my intention to insult him.
it is merely my intention to vehemently disagree with him on this issue.

a last word on personal style: if you don't like the way i say things
or what i say, delete me (others do, as a practice, and i'm sure they
continue to lead happy, full lives). if you find value in my posts, you'll
have to take the good with the bad. i am not perfect (that mistake i made
in 4th grade screwed me there).

mike

emusic.com