Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  3:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Was:The r...

lloyd wrote:

<< most
of the ideas expressed seem to more reflect the viewers prejudices
than address the actual elements of the art form. >>

lloyd, as you may recall from some of my previous posts, my problem is
with the timbre of the singing and the destruction of the art form by that
timbre. as you may recall, i once discussed the ending of roderigo's death
from verdi's 'don carlo', comparing fischer-dieskau's recorded performance to
those of the 'blowhards' who have also recorded it. if you examine the
score, you will see that fischer-dieskau's reading is exactly what is there
while, the rest are just flexing their voices (the rest being bastianini,
milnes, hynninen, hvorostovsky, etc. i have not heard gobbi's and sadly, no
longer remember de luca's). yes, the music is a dramatic element in this
scene as it is an almost literal setting of the text.

lloyd also wrote:

<< I say that in opera the music is the dramatic element but, regardless of
our personal preferences, this is true. >>

'the' dramatic element??? are you saying "a-ha, that modulation tells
us he is really her brother"? give me a break! aside from the example
cited above and the few like it, the rest is largely a bunch of nice tunes
that are either happy, sad, troubled, etc. about what? who knows. maybe
the second trombone part has the answer.

mike

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5400 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing )Was Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  10/11/2000   3 KB
5403 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Wa LYNDA313@a...   Wed  10/11/2000   3 KB
5408 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Wa RALUCOB@a...   Wed  10/11/2000   3 KB

emusic.com