Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  3:23 am
Subject:  Re: Fudging one's age and repertoire

A lister who resisted the advice reported:

<< some friends told me to
"make up" some concerts and recitals in order to "enhance" my curriculum
vitae. >>

My comment is that, morals aside, reporting experience on a resume one doesn't
have
(because that's what the above would be doing) is a bad idea.

In the music world, I think the singer sets up certain expectations with
reports of
performance experience. But if the singer doesn't prove to be as good as the
resume
suggests, the singer is written off as unable rather than inexperienced - i.e.,
one gets
cut less slack than if one were truthful about performance experience.

And personally, I don't want to have a job I'm not qualified for, whether it's
singing or
human resources. It's hard enough to do a job well when one IS qualified.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com