Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  3:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Was:The rest of the voice,beneath the singer's formant

> BTW, any actor
> with such cliched emotions opera singers display
> would be considered a ham
> actor.

I'm sorry that the operas you have seen have been of
such low quality. I, too, have seen the occasional
opera where the acting was bad (one production of
Boheme, where I actually laughed during the last scene
because Mimi looked like she was drunk comes to mind).
However, I've also seen a lot of operas where the
acting was excellent and really believable (and where
the words could be understood - not all opera singers
have problems with diction!). I hope someday you have
the opportunity to see a really good opera so you can
experience what it's *supposed* to be like.

Jennifer