Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  11:15 am
Subject:  Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Was:The rest of the voice,beneath the singer's formant

Lloyd wrote:

> The above statement describes an art that has as its basic goal a
> recreation of life as it exists. This point of view assumes that art
> is the same as every day life rather than art as a "reflection" or
> distillation of life. >>

I think opera is, after all, not anything else but a 'sung play'. That is,
as well as in a 'spoken play', the words MUST be understood by the
audience. Italians speak Italian ( OHHHHHH!!! ), therefore they can
understand what is sung ( or most of it ). That's what opera was meant to
be. It makes no sense to have a play that can't be understood. Of course,
as it is sung, the way people deliver the text, not only what the text is
about, is important too, but I don't think it justifies what opera singers
do to the text.

And Mike wrote:

> operatic singing has replaced the history of our vocal expression with
an
> artifice of tone production whose primary concern is to be efficient in
being
> heard over an orchestra.

But that's the same concern actors have in a play! As we say in Brazil ( and
maybe everywhere ), they must be heard by the deaf old lady sitting in the
last row. But they still CAN'T distort the sound! Maybe opera should use a
'pocket' orchestra or be miked ( "AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!" I can hear you!!!! ) I
agree that they go the wrong way, artistically saying, by equating their
voices to a 'mere' instrument. IT'S THE VOICE OF A CHARACTER! BTW, any actor
with such cliched emotions opera singers display would be considered a ham
actor.

That's it,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5367 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) W Jennifer   Tue  10/10/2000   2 KB
5375 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Wa Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  10/10/2000   4 KB
5378 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) W Caio Rossi   Tue  10/10/2000   2 KB
5754 Re: Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) W Linda Fox   Thu  10/19/2000   4 KB
5770 The Vowel Line Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  10/19/2000   4 KB

emusic.com