Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  8:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP: songs about sirens

Scott Drackley wrote:

> Dear Isabelle,
> You may be thinking of the Schuman Waldesgesprach--or did Schubert write one
> too? I think Schuman wrote another Lorelei lied but the name doesn't appear
> in the title. Rats! Can't remember the name. . . . another Senior moment.

And there's also a very interesting setting of it by Adolf Jensen. In
fact there are a load of songs by Jensen which are now rather hard to
come by. He st some songs from the Spanisches Liederbuch, AIUI before
Hugo Wolf got his hands on them, and they bear very interesting
comparison indeed with Wolf's settings. Springing to mind immediately
are "In Dem Schatten Meiner Locken" and "Klinge Mein Pandero".

I haven't seen them for years. There were two out-of-print books of them
in the public library in Manchester, England, 25 years ago, because I
performed a lot of them at that time.

I thought of applying to do some research into Jensen as a Lieder
composer at the time, but decided to have a baby instead :)

Does anyone else know these settings?

Linda

emusic.com