Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
"Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  12:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Fudging One's Age

:

> << Also, I knew someone who did it, and got away with it,
> and no one was the wiser! >>
>

> And I related a story from a good source where the judges knew and were
> delighted she did it and accepted her.

...to be later told by Met staff that the way to break into the Met was NOT
to lie on applications and steal awards away from younger, less experienced
singers for whom the competitions were designed, but to accept that the days
of competition eligibility were past and to build a resume by auditioning
for and getting jobs. (This story also from a good source.)

Indeed the age limits are hard to swallow, particularly if you start later
in life as I have. But I understand why they exist. The program (and
similar ones) is designed to give experience and confidence to less
experienced singers, as I understand it. The age limits are a very
imperfect attempt to meet this goal. I think that the goal is good, though
the method has excluded me, and accept that any singing career I build will
be built via other avenues. Micheal referred in a separate email to the Met
competition as "the Road to Nowhere" in which winners go back to the end of
the line after the competition. The way it has been explained to me, the
competition is not intended for career launching, and that perhaps getting
too caught up in pursuing the competition circuit at the expense of finding
"real" work can harm a career in the long run.

Sandra

emusic.com