Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  12:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ageism (was Fudging One's Age)

I have heard rumor of many people lying about their age on auditions. As for the Met Competition--a coach friend of mine that has worked in many of the world's leading opera houses has describe it to me as the "Road to Nowhere." You win, then you go to the back of the line.

If you choose to sing professionally, you will have to market yourself. There are marketing techniques that don't particularly rely on truth. They're used in every business there is. If your integrity is at issue, then refuse to list an age. The casting authority will decide to take it or leave it. You may then lose the job to someone older than yourself who lied.

Ah, the music world!
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2212

emusic.com