Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 9, 2000  3:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Fudging One's Age

> << Age
> limits for singing competitions and training programs are deplorable,
> especially those that set lower limits for women than for men. If an
> organization accepts public funding, they are breaking the law to
> discriminate by age or gender or ..... (fill in the blanks.) >>
>
> Perhaps it should be a law that asking the age of any applicant is
illegal.

I think the age limit is in order to help new talents and avoid experienced
singers to outshine the next generations. On the other hand, although I'm
not in the opera field, I guess age ( when the same as experience ) is an
advantage when auditioning for a cast.

Concerning the moral issue here: my dictionary defines to fudge as avoiding
making "a clear and definite decision, distinction, or statement about"
something. So, if you can compete without defining your age, and they accept
you, that's their organizational problem. If you want to LIE about your age,
than it's your business not ours and you shouldn't be turning us into your
possible accomplices. I'm not a moralist kind of person, but I confess I had
2 reactions at what you wrote: you're either TOO naive or you haven't
developed any sense of moral to think it's normal to share that with others.
In both cases, you need help!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com