Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Sat Oct 7, 2000  10:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Text and Singing

mike:
I'm aware that the libretto for "Candide" is taken from Voltaire's
writing. And yes, it is taken out of context. It just seems to fit
"opera" so very well - orchestra, singing, acting, costumes & sets.

Frankly, Voltaire could be poking fun at most of us. It's easier to get
through life denying the truth of the terrible situations that all of us
have to face at some point in our life. I've watched my father-in-law &
sister-in-law do it through my mother-in-law's short but advanced
illness.

Theatre & film are in many cases a "grand illusion" &, in some cases, a
"grand delusion" (for some reason "War of the Worlds" comes to mind).

Pat