Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  1:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Madonna, WAS Sting's technique (to Tako)

> > I understood that she started taking private lessons in preparation for
> > "Evita".

Here I am again On Madonna.

I happen to have 'accidentally' bought Evita's soundtrack ( most of it
would fit into my 'corny' categorization ) . She writes at the very end of
the thanking pages: "Special Thanks to Joan Lader for helping me find my
voice,..."

There's a Q & A in http://www.davestroud.com/html/community_qna3.htm where
Seth Riggs was asked this question:

"I attended a Master Class you taught a few years ago. Shortly after, I
bought your book and was surprised to see Madonna as one of your pupils.
Most recently, I saw her in Evita and was once again surprised at her voice.
Why is it that she should be allowed to do such a piece for film with such a
mediocre voice? Also, when I saw her perform on TV at the Oscars, her
performance was even worse. Was this because it was a live performance and
the pressure was greater? "

And Seth answered:

" I appreciate your opinion, but remember that movies must sell tickets.
Madonna was the perfect person to play Evita. But to ask her to sing in a
black gospel sound up to a 'G' above a woman's middle 'C' was too much to
ask from a recording voice. So, to get the impact of her career to film, and
to get someone who could dance at the same time, Mr. Webber lowered the
score a perfect fifth. Thus, she was able to belt the whole thing in pure
chest voice. It served their purposes, but I did not, and would not, have
anything to do with that. I can't imagine that will serve Madonna well in
her future singing career.

You mentioned that you saw her perform at the Oscars, and she was even
worse. Well, that is what happens to a singer when they are asked to pull
chest like that over time. It isn't so much the pressure of a live
performance, as much as it is just too much pressure on the voice to pull so
hard. By the way, I have 18 or 20 pupils who can sing Evita in Patty
Lupone's keys. As a matter of fact, I prepared Patty's Broadway replacement
as Evita, Derin Altay, when she took over for Patty. She played the Evita
title role for two and half years at the Alvin theater. "

That's it.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com