Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  10:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: We're losing our rights - update (long)

Dean FH Macy wrote:

> My last words-

> I will not bring this up again. It's a promise.

Oh - like British rower Steve Redgrave asked anyone who saw him get into
a boat again after the previous Olympics, where he won his fourth
successive gold, to shoot him? He did, and they didn't, and as a result
he won gold in a fifth games (can you say "a fifth games?")

I think a champion of the rights of others won't give up so easily. We
won't shoot you, Dean!

Of course there are rights issues on both sides of this, which you
haven't denied. What concerns me is not that people might be listening
free - shock horror, and as Billy says, so what about the radio, and
anyway they must have made _some_ investment, at least in their
equipment - but the fact that the copyright owners are - potentially -
not being adequately recompensed,

My own listening habits are extremely primitive (I put the CD in drive
D! That's primitive today...); had I written/recorded the music, I would
love to think that as many people as possible could hear it, but I would
want to be suitably rewarded for my efforts. Is it the composer, the
performer, the producer or the record company itself that loses out
through these less primitive methods? Is someone profiting unfairly from
the labours of those who should themselves be getting paid? I am an
innocent in these respects, so I would be interested to know. (Dean, I
possess no gun, crossbow or peashooter, so if you feel you can't break a
promise, you can e-mail your reply, and if it's a good one, I would
re-post. But you'll save time by replying on Vocalist and claiming I
forced you to... :) )

All the best,

Linda

emusic.com