Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  5:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

Your comments about gospel singers have me curious. I start rehearsals
with a gospel choir this Saturday.
I heard the group in concert last June & heard quite a few trained voices
on the solos so I'll be paying close attention at the 1st few rehearsals.

My personal experience with singing gospel & spirituals is that, at least
as a caucasian who has been taking voice lessons for 8 years now &
studied with an African-American singer for 2 of those years, the style
has to do with the inflection in the voice, not the technique. To sing in
this fashion without employing basic vocal techniques would become tiring
very quickly!

On the flip side, I was at a Chapel Choir rehearsal tonite & was singing
Monteverdi, Brahms, Bruckner & Ives. Go fig!

Pat Smith

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:24:50 -0300 "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...> writes:
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:24:50 -0300 "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...> writes:
> Thomas, in a very bad mood, wrote:
>
> > Perhaps someone can back me up here, but several years ago I read
> some
> > research in which vocal chords from various groups were looked at
> by
> > researchers and rated as to degree of healthiness by group. The
> top rated
> > group was professional choral singers, the second was opera
> singers. At
> > the bottom of the list were heavy metal performers in the
> penultimate
> > position, followed by black gospel singers.
> (snip)
> Black gospel singers and heavy metal performers generally have no
> deep
> formal training.

5230 Gospel singing WAS: sls and opera, was breath sup Tako Oda   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB

emusic.com