Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  7:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares!

In a message dated 10/5/00 4:11:00 PM, dredeman@y... writes:

<< But I am still convinced, that violating copyrights of
performing artists and the recording industry, is not
in the interest of singers, other musicians and music
lovers.>>

I'm with you 100% so far.

<<I can only welcome a law that prevents that. I am sure
- I have been married to a lawyer long enough to judge
- there will never be a law that prohibits listening
to music via Internet, from artists and recording
companies that * want you * to listen to them. >>

Laws must be very carefully crafted or they can be easily
mis-interpreted, over-extended or otherwise abused. One might also
question why our existing copyright laws are deemed to be insufficient.

Of course artists and creatives (and I include myself in this group on more
than one count) are entitled to fair compensation for their efforts. On the
other hand, the doctrine of reasonable use has held that copying for certain
limited uses is acceptable--such as taping a show off the air for your own
enjoyment at a later date.

Judy

emusic.com