Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  9:42 am
Subject:  Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares!

BillyANM@aol.com wrote:
That's ridiculous!! What do they think of the radio??????  I think someone
has been following the Napster issue too closely!  LOL
I ask for help for a proposal I helped get going to save our music and all I get is hassled!  That's the problem with the world today.  You people, snugly tucked into little balls of apathy, don't know that slowly your musical rights are being taken away; and you don't care!

For your information, Billy, the discussion is on Performance Rights in Sound             Recordings (Docket No. RM 2000-3). 65 FR 14227 now in the house.  If you were to go to the government offices, and most people like you would rather listen to rumors which they can punch down, you would read-
Joint Study Required by Section 104 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

          Background
          On October 28, 1998, H.R. 2281, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), was enacted into law. Section 104 of the DMCA directs the Register of Copyrights and the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information to prepare a report for the Congress examining the effects of the amendments made by title 17 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, ("DMCA") and the development of electronic commerce on the operation of sections 109 and 117 of title 17, United States Code, and the relationship between existing and emerging technology and the operation of such sections. The report is due no
later than two years after enactment of the DMCA.

          Important Dates
          June 5, 2000  Request for public comment published in the Federal Register
          August 4, 2000  Written comments due
          September 5, 2000  Reply comments due by close of business
          October 28, 2000  Report due to Congress

Well, Billy, we who care are trying to stop the DMCA ammendment to limit sound recordings played in public places.  If we can get a law permitting the listening of recordings in public places from storage facilities like the internet or radio stations, we can make this whole crazy idea go away.  But we never will if everyone thinks as you do.

Here is the new law we're trying to get into Congress via a Bill.  We need a million proxy signatures.

Mr. Boucher (for himself, Mr. Burr, Mr. LaHood, and Mr. Upton)

                                           A BILL

To amend Title 17, United States Code, with respect to personal interactive performances of recorded nondramatic musical works, and for other purposes.

     Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Sec. 1. SHORT TITLE.

     This Act may be cited as the “Music Owners’ Listening Rights Act of 2000".

Does this title suggest that perhaps this is for real, Billy.  I certainly hope so, because it is!

If you want to read the whole text it's at http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/molra-leg.htm

Then PLEASE go to http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/95/the_million_email_march.html and register your protest.  If you don't, forget running back and asking, "How could this happen?"

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.
"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5153 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! sopran@a...   Thu  10/5/2000   2 KB
5155 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! Mezzoid@a...   Thu  10/5/2000   2 KB
5157 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! Dre de Man   Thu  10/5/2000   3 KB
5171 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! sopran@a...   Thu  10/5/2000   3 KB
5175 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! BillyANM@a...   Thu  10/5/2000   2 KB
5186 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! Dean FH Macy   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB
5240 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! Elizabeth Finkler   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB
5245 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! williams@e...   Fri  10/6/2000   2 KB
5249 Re: We're losing our rights and no one cares! Mezzoid@a...   Fri  10/6/2000   2 KB

emusic.com