Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Oct 5, 2000  2:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Sting's technique (to Tako)

Tako Oda wrote:

> Bless you! It is so good to hear Sting is singing well! I had heard him a
> couple of years ago, and his top was very strained, but perhaps it was
> just an off-night.

> Perhaps he has changed his technique recently to be gentle with his older
> vocal cords? I think you're right that his technique used to be
> questionable in his Police days. Perhaps it started to catch up to him a
> few years ago, resulting in his finding a healthier technique, hence
> the better singing when you heard him?

I don't know if this might be "the" reason - but a number of years back, maybe
8-10 years
ago, but the years do fly by, Sting was MacHeath in a production of The
Threepenny Opera.
It came to Washington pre-Broadway. My voice teacher went to see it (which I
recall
clearly, because I babysat for him and his wife when their sitter cancelled
last minute),
and I remember him commenting on the unhealthy way he thought Sting was singing
(though he
otherwise liked the performance), that it wasn't incredibly obvious yet, but he
could hear
problems developing (or something like that). I remember the show opened on
Broadway, but
wasn't a success and didn't run too long. Maybe Karen or someone remembers more
precisely.

Anyway, I speculate that 8 shows a week with dialogue, etc., of demanding music
sung with
an orchestra, was much more difficult than other singing he'd done, and it must
have taken
a toll on the cords. I'm glad to hear he's gotten some technique, because I
like him as
an artist.

Peggy

--