Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Oct 4, 2000  7:53 pm
Subject:  Re: Defending Upshaw WAS: sls and opera, was breath supp...

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 Mezzoid@a... wrote:
> ITA ... however, she does a bit more crooning on her "Goethe-Lieder" CD than
> I feel comfortable. Her "Gretchen am Spinnrad" has way too many musical
> theater affectations and last year when I played it for my German diction
> class, my students (none of whom were particularly sophisticated) reacted in
> horror at the "Und ach ... sein Kuss!" because it was just so inappropriate.

A real innovator has to take risks sometimes, even if they crash and burn
on occasion :-)

I wonder about how inapproriate it really is for Upshaw to take such
liberties, though. Weren't art songs meant for informal "salon"
get-togethers? I suppose some were written for concert performances, but
most were probably done by people with "serious-amateur" caliber voices
for their friends. They weren't subject to the same formal, academic eye
that arts songs are seen under now... People of every era have different
ideas of what is painfully corny.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5122 Re: Defending Upshaw thomas mark montgomery   Wed  10/4/2000   4 KB
5123 Re: Tonight on PBS thomas mark montgomery   Wed  10/4/2000   2 KB
5159 Re: Defending Upshaw Tako Oda   Thu  10/5/2000   3 KB

emusic.com