Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 4, 2000  8:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Defending Upshaw WAS: sls and opera, was breath supp...

In a message dated 10/04/2000 1:27:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
toda@m... writes:

<< It's funny that we pick on her, because in my opinion, she is one of the
VERY FEW opera singers that is championing new music. Without artists like
her, opera will surely die, a relic of the 19th century.

She is one of the few singers in the classical vein that I consider
innovative, in a vocal or musicological sense. IMO, she ranks up there
with geniuses like Peter Gabriel or Prince. She has incredible chops and
sharp interpretive abilities.

ITA ... however, she does a bit more crooning on her "Goethe-Lieder" CD than
I feel comfortable. Her "Gretchen am Spinnrad" has way too many musical
theater affectations and last year when I played it for my German diction
class, my students (none of whom were particularly sophisticated) reacted in
horror at the "Und ach ... sein Kuss!" because it was just so inappropriate.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5121 Re: Defending Upshaw WAS: sls and opera, was brea Tako Oda   Wed  10/4/2000   2 KB
5122 Re: Defending Upshaw thomas mark montgomery   Wed  10/4/2000   4 KB
5123 Re: Tonight on PBS thomas mark montgomery   Wed  10/4/2000   2 KB
5159 Re: Defending Upshaw Tako Oda   Thu  10/5/2000   3 KB

emusic.com