Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 4, 2000  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

In a message dated 10/04/2000 6:27:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ezuber@b... writes:

<< >> Dawn Upshaw and Sylvia McNair would be very good
>> examples of singers who
>> mirror SLS production in opera

I'd hardly call either one of them an opera singer, though! No meat on the
stick - to say it mildly. SLS they may be! To me (but not only), both of
them are the most irritable sounds that ascended onto the operatic stages
in the last 20 years. >>

Wow. And here I am, a size queen when it comes to voices, yet I love what
Upshaw and McNair do. There is purity of vocalism that suits their fach
perfectly, like sparkling, clean water. And I would definitely call them
opera singers, and have seen both at the Met (McNair as Titania, Upshaw as
Anne Truelove). Their tones filled the hall effortlessly and with sweetness,
exactly what the character called for. Opera is theater first and foremost to
me, and when a singer fullfills the dramatic and musical requirements of a
role, I am fully satisfied. And it doesn't happen very often in my
experience. With both of these women, however, it did.
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5117 Defending Upshaw WAS: sls and opera, was breath s Tako Oda   Wed  10/4/2000   2 KB

emusic.com