Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rocio Guitard" <rocioguitard@h...>
"Rocio Guitard" <rocioguitard@h...>
Date:  Tue Oct 3, 2000  7:13 pm
Subject:  Sting's technique (to Tako)

Tako,

I was intrigued by this comment of yours:

>>Sting's voice may be shot now, but I don't think the
world is sorry (and he may not be either), because he recorded timeless
songs like "Walking in your Footsteps", which wouldn't have had the same
impact sung "healthily".

I actually never thought of Sting as a "good quality" singer for the longest time, yet lately I've been changing my mind....
I saw him live a month ago and wow, his mix was really good, I hadn't heard him *that* way before. He still doesn't use much vibrato on louder songs, and belts chest here and there for stylistic reasons, but his production was completely relaxed throughout the entire concert (a good 2 hours) and he sounded better than ever. Then finally I stumbled across his version of "Windmills of your mind" on the Thomas Crown Affair-soundtrack, and wow, he really goes up there in an awesome mix, with vibrato and the whole nine yards. Something to watch out for, I don't know if he's been taking lessons or what, but he is definitely improving a lot.

My 2 cents :o)

Rocio
PS. who thinks Sting is one of the big musical geniuses of our time, regardless of his technique or lack thereof.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5081 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) BillyANM@a...   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5085 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Tako Oda   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5082 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Mezzoid@a...   Tue  10/3/2000   3 KB
5083 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Tako Oda   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5084 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Mezzoid@a...   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5087 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Tako Oda   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5090 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Lisa M Olson   Tue  10/3/2000   3 KB
5096 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Mezzoid@a...   Wed  10/4/2000   2 KB
5131 Re: Sting's technique (to Tako) Margaret Harrison   Thu  10/5/2000   3 KB

emusic.com