Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 3, 2000  2:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sls and opera, was breath supp. etc

Thomas, in a very bad mood, wrote:

> Perhaps someone can back me up here, but several years ago I read some
> research in which vocal chords from various groups were looked at by
> researchers and rated as to degree of healthiness by group. The top rated
> group was professional choral singers, the second was opera singers. At
> the bottom of the list were heavy metal performers in the penultimate
> position, followed by black gospel singers. Now, that said, this
> fruitless (!) argument periodically raises its head, constantly
> comparing apples and oranges. As it will NEVER be agreed upon by all
> parties, doesn't it seem silly to constantly argue these positions?

Black gospel singers and heavy metal performers generally have no deep
formal training. Opera singers do, of course, and choral singers don't
generally have many chances to do what's harmful, so I don't know if that's
a problem of styles or of training.

BTW, I was not defending Mary Baker's position, I was only trying to explain
what she meant to Mike.If we didn't talk about that, we'd never get SLS's,
Lloyd's, Mike's or your
point of view about it. A discussion list is for discussing relevant topics,
and whatever topic it is comes up off and on, it means people want to talk
about it. A thread is 'successful' only to the extent of the interest it
raises.
> realize that there has been an element on this list as of late who argues
> for the sake of arguing, constantly choosing the most inflammatory
> position and staking out its argument by force and rhetoric.

Mmmm, I don't know if you're talking about me, but I think Prozac and the
like do a good job sometimes. I've seen no one here appealing to 'force',
and yours was the greatest use of rhetoric I've seen on the list lately.

For that
> reason alone, I hope Marko can get us back in our old home soon. I miss
> the regular posts of the knowledgeable, rather than the merely loud and/or
> prolific.

Does it mean you didn't post there very often?

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5062 Re: sls and opera, was breath supp. etc thomas mark montgomery   Tue  10/3/2000   2 KB
5071 Dear Mark WAS: sls and opera, was breath supp. Tako Oda   Tue  10/3/2000   3 KB

emusic.com