Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

Tako wrote:

> Where did you get this definition? Eddie Van Halen, Annie Lennox, Pat
> Benatar had "classical" training (among many others). Charlie Parker
> applied rigorous Stravinksy-esque compositional techniques to his sax
> music. Also, there are schools, like Berklee, which are institutions
> specializing in training pop/jazz musicians.

For you to play pop music ( jazz is in between. According to historical
accounts, jazz became a more sophisticated musical style because after WW II
the 'GI Joes' got public scholarship to study whatever field and wherever
they chose. As many of them were black people ( it's 'funny' that they were
so overly represented at war ), their formal training made a big change in
jazz. That's one of the biggest complaints of Vietnam war vets! ). It
doesn't mean, as I said, that pop music can not be merged with classical
music, or that people can't include classical features in their pop music
like Angra or Rhapsody do ). Also, classical training does not mean
necessarily that they display that training in their music.

> There is a saying in computer and arts worlds, that if you finish your
> degree, you didn't make it. If you're really good, the real world tries to
> rescue from the world of academics (Steve Jobs of Apple, Chris
> Schaldenbrand - inducted to the Met in his Junior year at IU, etc.)

OH, they mean that people who create computer programs don't profit from
Aristotles', Russell's and Goedel's logic? And computers don't exist due to
academic research ( BTW, they like to say that all they do is the result of
free entreprise, while the American government funded all research in the
area, including the Internet ) ? And they've never read a book in life, it
all came from inspiration? Those guys are really nerds!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com