Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Relative education level (was: 'opera singer' w...

In a message dated 10/2/2000 12:19:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:

<< Hey, Bartoli was my favorite mezzo based on her recordings; then I saw her
on
video and was horrified. While I still admire the voice, I can't abide the
way she produces it and I think that she isn't singing as well as she was
when I first started listening to her. It's the same concept.>>

You know, I had exactly that same thought just after I hit send on that
message. However, I haven't heard her sing since that Figaro that was
broadcast last year, in which she wasn't bad. She's definitely not as good
as when she first came out, though. I didn't say this on the list - not
wanting to start a colossal war - but almost anyon with any kind of gift can
produce good sounds for a short time. The real test is being able to do it
year after year after year. That's where good technique steps in.
And speaking of colossal wars, my delete before reading list sure has
gotten longer in the last week.

<<BTW, I heard Bocelli on NPR yesterday - there was a report about the song
"Time to Say Goodbye," and how it's so popular. It was interesting - but
there's still something missing in his voice - the song speaks to me but he
doesn't. I was glad to hear it though, because I'm singing it at a wedding
in a few weeks (thru a booking agency, so I have no say - at least it's not
"Unforgettable") and I was concerned about the high A at the end. My
interpretation on reading thru it was that it should be floated and while I
have an A, it doesn't float ("I'm ONLY a mezzo, you know" - quick, someone
name that quote!). I was happy to hear that Bocelli sings it out full blast
- because I can DO that!! >>

A's just kill me. I'm working on "Voi lo sapete", and every time I come
to either of the A's, I oversing them and they're just awful. I have an A -
I have no problem singing A's in other contexts (I do descants along with the
sopranos in my church choir and nail them all the time there) - but as soon
as I see one in an aria, I oversing. It makes me so mad. It happens on both
"Voi lo sapete" and the Papers Aria from The Consul. Arrggghhh.
If it's something like Time to Say Goodbye or All I Ask of You, it's no
problem. I think it's because as soon as I think it's really dramatic, I get
heavy. Perhaps I should stop thinking like that, eh?
I saw Bocelli being interviewed on CNN over the weekend (new album or
something?). I actually liked the things he had to say about how he handles
the criticism of his crossover success - he essentially said a good song is a
good song, something I believe myself - but I still don't like his voice. It
sounds wispy and without body to me. I find it more acceptable on the pop
stuff, but I'm still not crazy about it. There's an Italian restaurant
around the corner where we have dinner a lot, and they're always playing his
recordings. It makes fairly decent background music. :-)

Lee

emusic.com