Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  3:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Relative education level (was: 'opera singer' w...

In a message dated 10/1/2000 8:56:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:

<< Now, I must explain, I have hardly ever _seen_ Charlotte Church, so most
of what I have to go on is by sound alone (BTW, does she spend most of
her performing time in the US? Most people on this list seem to have
seen her rather a lot) and I haven't been able to observe all the
problems with her jaw. >>

I had much the same reaction when I just heard her recordings. It's not
a bad sound. However, the minute I saw her sing, I was horrified. Much of
the discussion on this list over her technique has expressed concern over the
life of her voice when her technique was in such bad shape. And the current
visit to this subject came about when someone saw a recent performance and
said that, indeed, her voice was beginning to show signs of wear. If people
are just listening to her early recordings and not seeing what she's doing,
it's not going to be particularly apparent that this is a troubled voice.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo soprano

emusic.com