Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  2:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

Tako wrote:
> How can you justify this? If your criteria are based on classical forms,
> then I suppose pop would by definition be inferior.

Ok, so let's define that: classical musicians have to study a lot, have to
master things I don't even know they exist, while popular music musicians
are regular people, with no academic study in the area ( by definition, of
course. There are exceptions, like two of Angra's musicians, the Brazilian
band you listened to, who studied to be conductors ).
Popular music is that made by the folk, ( in English it's not so clear, but
in the word 'populace' you can see that 'popul' stands for person, people,
mostly ordinary people in contrast to their leaders or elite ), that's
folklore ( be that traditional or 'folklore' on the making, like
contemporary urban pop music ). I don't think classical music has ever been
THAT popular. People up to the 19th century lived mostly in villages, where
I don't think orchestras would venture. BTW, I read that, differently from
what people assume, in the Middle Ages most people were not Catholic. The
Church had influence- reached by means of praying or the Inquisition- only
in urbanized areas, while most people in small villages kept their pagan
beliefs and practices. It seems to have been the same regarding music and up
to a much later time.

>Most classical music was popular at one time, btw...

Popular is both: something created by the 'populace', and
something appreciated by most people. I was referring to popular in its
original meaning - the first one, while your 'popular' above refers to the
latter ( what I questioned above and someone else in another post ).

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4985 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Tako Oda   Mon  10/2/2000   3 KB
4994 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church Shawna   Mon  10/2/2000   4 KB

emusic.com